I wanted to depict the CS and MV as two halves of a circle (coloured differently) and I really couldn’t work out how to do it. I found reference to the Fragment command but that is nowhere to be seen on the ribbon. Ultimately, I managed to do it. Here’s how:
- Click the little downward arrow next to undo and redo in the top left of the Visio Window.
- Click More Commands. Click Customize Ribbon. Click on the bottom most tab (under main tabs) –in my case this is “Icon Editor” and click New Tab. Rename the tab and the group –I called mine Paul and Advanced respectively.
- Now, at the top underneath “Customize the Ribbon” click “All Commands” and then locate “Fragment”. Ensure your new group is selected and click “Add > >”.
- Click OK.
- Draw a circle and dissect the circle with a straight line, e.g.
- Click your new tab.
- Ensure both the circle and line are selected.
- Click Fragment.
- You now have two semi-circles. You can colour each now.
A better example
OK, let’s create a funky representation of the MV like Markus does on the FIM TechNet documents:
- Draw a circle. Dissect it with one vertical and one horizontal line, like so:
- Select the lot and use your new Fragment button. Now draw a second circle half the size and place that in the centre, like this:
- Now you can rotate and colour and you’re sorted:
Woo hoo, now I can draw some sensible FIM conceptual stuff…