January 2013 saw Microsoft release Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) 2010 R2. The build number for R2 SP1 is 4.1.3114.0. The official documentation for this SP (build) can be found on the Microsoft support website under KB article KB2772429. In addition there are release notes and what’s new pages on TechNet:
- Release Notes for Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2 SP1
- What’s New in Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2 SP1
The Service Pack was available on MSDN, TechNet and the Volume License download sites early January. The SP went live on Windows update towards the end of January. The official announcement, via KB2772429, happened on 30/01/2013.
There’s not a lot of point detailing new features or fixes in this post as all of that information is comprehensibly defined in the aforementioned URLs. I will however draw your attention to a couple of, in my opinion, noteworthy aspects:
- Deferred evaluation of criteria-based groups.
- Support for Internet Explorer (IE) 10. Hotfixes are required for IE 10 support:
- Upgrade time from FIM to FIM R2 has been considerably improved.
- The ADMA, FIMMA and ECMA2 have been optimised to import multi-value reference attributes (e.g. group membership) 2.5 times faster than previously.
- Import-MIISServerConfig supports overwriting an existing configuration (as opposed to terminating with an error).
- New supported infrastructure:
- Support for the following systems when using the OOB management agents: AD DS and AD LDS 2012; SQL 2012; Exchange 2013 (you need to pick Exchange 2010, there’s no separate option within the ADMA); Sun 7.x and Oracle 11 for the Sun and Netscape DS (now renamed to Oracle directory servers).
- Support for Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 for FIM Service and FIM Synchronization Service; WS2012 for PCNS and Visual Studio 2012 for Rules Extension code.
- Support for SharePoint 2013 and (as above) IE10 for FIM Service; Support for System Center Service Manager (SCSM) 2012 for FIM Reporting; Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 for the client add-ins.