When the Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) 2010 or 2010 R2 Synchronization Service starts the following error is logged in the Application event log for each management agent (MA) configured:
The server encountered an unexpected error creating performance counters for management agent “MANameGoesHere”. Performance counters will not be available for this management agent.
Should you go into Performance Monitor (perfmon) you won’t be able to find the three sets of FIM Synchronization Service counters.
Performance counters are mangled or corrupted or hosed or in need of some assistance.
Unload the counters, load the counters and restart the FIM Synchronization Service.
- Open an elevated shell or prompt and navigate to \Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Synchronization Service\bin.
- Run the following commands:
- unlodctr fimsynchronizationservice
- lodctr mmsperf.ini
- Restart the service:
- PS: Restart-Service fimsy*
- CMD: net stop fimsynchronizationservice & net start fimsynchronizationservice
I know others have posted similar information but I’ve had success with the above approach this week in three separate environments. I’ll undoubtedly forget the commands in the future and need them too.
What causes this I don’t know however…